The natural beauty of this historic city, more than excellent Mediterranean cuisine, luxury villas in Pula and other accommodation are just some of the reasons why you should visit this inspiring Croatian city.
Historic and natural destinations and events you should not miss during your vacation in Pula
- Arena Pula is definitely the most famous and visited historical landmark in the city thanks to which the city itself is recognized all over the world. It is one of the best preserved and largest Roman amphitheaters. It was built at a similar time as the Colosseum in Rome, and it had different purposes over the centuries. The amphitheater served for various fights, as pasture for grazing and even for knights' tournaments. Today, this monument of ancient times serves as a popular destination for guests visiting the city and its surroundings, villas in Pula and other accommodation in this beautiful Istrian region. One of the most significant events that takes place in this famous landmark is the Pula Film Festival, which is the oldest film festival in Croatia.
In 2003, an art installation was made around the Arena Pula called Tie around the Arena. It was the longest tie in the world, 808 meters long, which also entered the Guinness Book of Records. The picture of the tie was seen in the whole world and once again reminded the world of Croatian origin, which the Croatian people are very proud of.
- Brijuni is a group of 14 islands, the most famous of which are Veliki and Mali Brijun and represent one of eight national parks in Croatia. Brijuni can be reached by pleasant boat ride from Fažana, which takes about 20 minutes. Fažana itself is only a few kilometers from the city of Pula. So guests visiting villas in Pula and its surroundings can easily come and visit this favorite tourist destination rich in diverse flora and fauna. For this reason, Brijuni also have the name "heaven on Earth".
There are many kinds of interesting activities that will draw you to this national park. Some of them are playing golf or tennis, visiting a safari park in Veli Brijun, cycling or walking on the "good vibes" track. On Veliki Brijun it is also possible to visit the old Roman rustic villa dating from the first century BC.
- The Pula Film Festival is the oldest Croatian film festival to be held in the Arena Pula since 1954. The festival takes place in the summer months, attracting a large number of both domestic and foreign tourists and fans of this culture. This festival offers its visitors a diverse and unique program, which includes not only local but also international film creations. For this reason, in 2001 it was renamed the Festival of Croatian and European Film.
Sophia Loren, Elizabeth Taylor, Richard Burton, John Malkovich, Ben Kingsley, Jeremy Irons are just some of the famous movie names who have visited this festival.
Luxury villas in Pula in the past and today
In the past, Pula was home to beautiful and numerous Austro-Hungarian villas, many of which, unfortunately are nowadays abandoned. These villas are mostly located in Veruda and were built in the mid-19th century. At that time, the city of Pula was chosen as the main war port in The Empire of Austria. Many of these villas in Pula are nowadays advertised for sale, and some of them the owners want to preserve and restore as much as they can. One of the great examples of renovation is the Wolff mansion of renowned painter George Ritter von Wolf.
Today, though, the term has taken on a slightly different meaning. Villas in Pula are being built today in a modern way, appropriate to the 21st century, and their purpose is completely different. Families with children, a group of friends or business partners will be happy to stay in one of the modern villas with swimming pools today. Such villas in Pula serve their visitors for rest and relaxation with their loved ones. Definitely all the guests who spend their holidays this way and relax in this Istrian pearl come home rested and full of positive impressions.
5 popular and beautiful beaches in Pula
1. Ambrela Beach is one of the most famous beaches in Pula. This pebble beach is only 4 kilometers away from the city center and is located on the west side of the Verudela Peninsula. The beach is awarded the Blue Flag and is very popular among young people, children, families, and people with disabilities. Guests who visit villas in Pula are happy to come with their families to this beach.
2. Verudela Beach is located in the famous tourist resort Park Plaza Verudela, in the southern part of the Golden Rock Peninsula. In the distance there is a beautiful view of the Fratar Island. The beach is nicely decorated and well equipped. Beach guests have showers and changing rooms and various equipment for enjoyment in the sea. Above the beach are restaurants for always needed refreshment after a good swim.
3. Hawaii Beach reminiscent of a tropical beach is also a very popular pebble beach located near the city. The beach is 50 meters from the Park Plaza Arena Pula hotel. So the guests of the hotel as well as the guests who visit the villas in Pula are happy to come to this beach. The beach is located in the gap between the beautifully formed natural rocks, which can be reached by stairs. The beach is suitable for families with children, but also for adrenaline lovers who use high rocks to jump into the sea.
4. Zlatne Stijene Beach is located on the peninsula of the same name near the tourist resort Horizont and Splendid, about 4 kilometers away from the city of Pula. This rocky beach is especially popular with the younger population because of the jumps into the sea that are ideal on this beach. The proximity and illumination of nearby restaurants and other catering facilities make the beach popular for night swimming.
5. Lighthouse Beach is a rocky beach on the Zlatne Stijene peninsula next to the lighthouse from year 1877. The beach is more recommended for adventurers. However, it is recommended for sunbathing and relaxation for everyone. There is also a restaurant on the beach with a relaxation terrace and beautiful sea views.